Friday 6 September 2013

The NTS book

Last january, i was approached by Bentang Pustaka, a book publisher that published The Naked Traveller, Perahu Kertas, Top Words, etc. They asked me if i'm interested in writing a book. 

Suddenly, my visualization came to mind. You see, Brad Sugars taught us to IVVM : Idealize Visualize Verbalize, and it will materialize. One of the things i've IVV-ed in the last year was, i'm going to write a book someday. And that someday come sooner than i thought.

My first reaction? Wonder. Shocked. Grateful to tears (literally). And then.. Scared. I mean, is this real? Wait, am i ready? Is Gogirl!'s story really a story worth telling? Are we not getting ahead of ourselves here? 

When in doubt, i asked, who else? My husband and my sisters. Anita asked, "why do we want to write a book?" I said, "because maybe, our story is bigger than we are. Maybe, our struggles were not only meant for us, but for other's too." She smiled her very few smiles. Sat back, and sigh. "But there will be people who are going to be angry with it." She shot me a look. And i understand what she meant. During the course of time, there are many things that happened, and those things involved other people, families, and us. I understand that we have to tell the truth, and truths are... well, inconvenient.

I said, "it's time we admit that the money we got for Gogirl! came from dad not from a bank loan. We have to tell the truth." 
But i know that's not what my sister meant. We have no problem admitting our own faults, it's the stories about other's faults that makes her nauseous. So i said, "i'll be delicate, but it'll still anger certain people."

Anita just said, "ah, whatever we do, there will be people who are going to be mad at us. I'd say, let's do it. But i'm not passionate in writing a book, it's your thing ga, i'll edit and set the art direction."

Fast forward 9 months, the book is done.   We titled it "No One to Someone" because it was the theme of our very first edition and because we believe each of us has that potential.


This is the dummy of the book. It'll look almost exactly like this, with extra spot uv effect. It's going to be launched in 3 weeks and it's going to be priced at Rp 59.500,-

To be honest, we feel just as nervous and as excited as the first time we were going to launch Gogirl! 

Fingers crossed! 

No comments:

Post a Comment